Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Meeting New Families

I feel like I have so much to write that I have no clue where to start! :)

To update, both girls are doing fantastic! :) Mikaela is still only taking a few steps on her own, but we will get her walking soon enough.  Lorelei is pulling herself up all over the place, bear crawling, and has even gotten bold and is standing without holding on to anything for 30-45 seconds at a time. We are making progress and are so excited about it. :)


We had a wonderful break with Grandma and Grandpa Erwin and Abuelo and Abuela.  We enjoyed a lot of family time and taking lots of pictures! :)




While we were in VA Beach, we got together with two other families that I met through Facebook.  Both families have a boy with Down Syndrome.  One boy is 7  months old and the other will be a year old later this month.  Thanks to Noah's Dad.com, we all "met" and have been keeping in touch with each other.  We finally got to meet in person and had a wonderful time!  It was refreshing to talk to others that know what you are going through and where you are coming from and feel the same you do.  Meeting families that may be having a harder time than we did/are, also puts everything in perspective.  I feel like what we had to go through is so minuscule compared to others!  My heart just goes out to those families.  I wish I could do something for them, but I will just be here if they need me.

We also took the girls to the beach for the first time.  We went for a photo shoot so we didn't really "play."  Plus, it was chilly and windy so we didn't want to keep the girls out there very long.  Lorelei wanted to eat the sand.  Mikaela wasn't sure what to think about it. :) It was fun to watch them play and just makes me more excited for our trip to Myrtle Beach in June.



I received a message today from one of the nurse practitioners at the NICU.  She was asking if I would be willing to talk to a mother who recently had a baby boy that was born with Down Syndrome.  I was so ecstatic when I read the message! :) That is what we want to do! Brandon and I want to be advocates.  I am not a writer and find it hard to find time to blog every day, so I don't think we will be getting any recognition for that.  I will not be writing a book like the recent Bloom:  Finding Beauty in the Unexpected by Kelle Hampton (a FANTASTIC read!!), so I won't be telling my story to people that way.  I want to tell my story in person. :) We haven't been through a lot compared to other families, but we still have a story and it will continue for a very long time.  I want others to know that this is okay and that we wouldn't want it any other way.  I want to get the word out there somehow!  I want others to know that if they are lucky enough to have a child with Down Syndrome, it will be okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment